<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, January 28, 2004

Sigh 

I've been pretty excited about this whole weblog thing - the way I got turned onto it is an interesting story, but let's not get into that for right now. My closest friends are aware that I'm becoming a geek and getting into this on-line journal phenomenon. I've been telling them about my websites: photoblog and weblog (I've had to go into more detail than I've wanted in trying to explain the differences between the two). So last night I was reading some of my entries to my roommate (soul sister) Jen. She's not used to reading my stuff - she's not a part of the friends who I email daily - those of us half-wits who sit at work all day in front of the computer. As I was reading some of my entries off the computer screen, Jen's facial expression had the look of bordeom mixed with just having eaten bad sushi. I became embarassed; I started skipping over sentences - ones that I realized were irrelevant. But then I skipped over so many sentences that the whole entry became irrelevant. What I thought was clever and funny became nonsensical and school-girlish.

If you want an honest opinion about your writing, read it to a friend and watch their facial expressions - it tells you loads. If they start to walk into other rooms of your apartment while you're reading your stuff, that's another good indicator that maybe you need to do some major editing. Thanks to Jen's facial expressions, I now have a new-found disappointment for my writing ability. I'm not upset - I've been grounded. Besides, she likes this painting of an alien doing yoga.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?