<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, January 23, 2004

Total Messes 

Yeah, well I have these moments in my life, actually maybe I shouldn't say moments, because it does seem that the majority of my existence (as we all know it) is in a state of messiness - not moments of messiness, but a timeline filled with messiness with an occasional blip of order. Other people, like my roommate Jen, have moments of messiness - I envy her. If only I had the motivation to be a little more orderly and a little more put together, life would be less stressful and a little more lubed up - not so much friction and snags. My best friend, Dawn, never has messy moments - her style might be considered on the level of OCD, if it weren't for the fact that she's so cool. If you're a nerd and are as organized as Dawn and have the tendency, like Dawn, to not sit still because there's always something that needs to be done, clothes to fold, pictures to arrange in an album, etc., then you would probably be labeled as having OCD. Maybe OCD is overly used - I bet psychologists are getting a little worried that OCD is becoming a common description for anal people. It's probably a term that should be affiliated with only those who have severe problems with messiness - or is it problems with severe tidiness? Yen and Yang - particle and waves - black and white - hairy and bald.... You know the people I'm talking about - the ones who would blow someone's head off for moving the coffee table book an inch too far to the right, possibly sparking an imbalance in the cosmos.

Yeah, so I actually have moments of tidiness. Tidiness: bills are all paid and I have a budget all set out for the next month; my bed is made, all the clothes are folded or hung, and there's only a few articles of clothing in the laundry bag; my CD's are in order by genre and then alphabetized by artist and then in order of release dates; every little piece of paper whose origin is from the mail or work and that may have some significance in the fiscal year has been filed or shredded; I called my parents for the week; the litter box is cleaned and let's go as far as having Oscar bathed; the floors have been mopped and even the blinds are dusted; I'm caught up at work and actually don't feel stressed to go in - I may even enjoy it. This is tidiness. I feel warm and fuzzy when in the presence of my own tidiness - if it were a color, I would call it white.

But... well, I guess there's a lot of upkeep involved with tidiness. I remember once when I was tidy for a month - it drove me fucking batty. I told myself that I was going to keep my life in this state of tidiness - "I'm not going back, damn it. I'm gonna bust balls to keep my life in this pristine state of tidiness." I'd get home from work - the mail needed to be filed away immediately - that's not sooo hard, but my work clothes needed to be hung back up, and maybe I needed to make my lunch for the next day, and was it time to do laundry, what about making sure I was staying on track with my budget - I mean I did go out for lunch today, and not to mention that Oscar's litter box needs to be cleaned, and I need to make sure that I have enough time before getting 8 hours of sleep that I brush my teeth and floss and perform my anti-aging routine. It seemed like a lot of my time was spent in keeping life orderly. Maybe I should get lessons from Dawn.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?