<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Rich People's Parties - Sure to have Bad Music 

A few weekends ago I went to this party down in Woodside. Supposedly, Woodside is a fairly affluent community - I wouldn't know - my kind don't mix with their kind, and that was obvious at the party. I was one of the younger people there, and I think my age put me at a disadvantage. I, at least, want to believe that. The women present were probably in their mid 30s to early 40s, and for their ages... well, let's just hope I can keep it together as well as they have - I'm sure their faces weren't lacking of botox. Anyway, the party sucked ass - I definitely didn't feel like I was welcome - I think my outfit was too hokey compared to their standards, and as I mentioned above, the women were jealous of my youth - I'm pretty sure. BUT there was lots of free booze and the catered food was to die for (I snuck a lot in my purse).

I went to another rich person's party about a year and a half ago - the music was worse than the scrapings off a shoe that had walked through a sand box frequented by the neighborhood cats. The food was great; the drinks were served by bartenders you didn't have to tip; and they even had cigarettes laid out on a nice silver platter. But, like I said, the music sucked major donkey dick. The DJ looked like his name could be Biff, and he played Pump Up the Jam over-easy (not remixed or sampled or anything) - that song sucked even in the early '90s. When I was an exchange student to Spain during the summer of 1990, one of the girls I met asked me what "jam" meant - she was referring to that piece of shit song. I couldn't explain it in Spanish - I don't even think I can explain it in English. Jam: jivin' with the music? In this case, really bad music.

I had an ex-lover tell me that, in his experience, you can expect the music to be less than mediocre at a rich person's party. I'm beginning to think he's right. I went to a some-what rich person's party a while back, but stayed all of 10 minutes: music sucked, no food or alcohol left, and the people all had black leather jackets and seemed to have come straight from the Marina. Music makes a party, in my book. The food can suck; you may have to bring your own alcohol; even the company may leave a lot to be desired; but if there's good music...

Good music: sultry sounds beating to a rhythm that makes your head nod up and down without a tinge of effort.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?